LEADER IN TRAINING
The Kids Inc Leader In Training (LIT) program develops and enhances invaluable leadership skills for all participants. It has been crafted to provide and teach balance between responsibility and fun by giving teens the opportunity to learn new skills, while participating in recreational camp activities.
Our LIT program is tied into the same activity schedule as our General Camp. LIT's will be at the same activities that they were able to participate in as General Campers......but with a twist. Now they might be asked to be a team captain at ball hockey, a helper for a 6 year old camper in the forest, or to assist with minor tasks in the craft hut. These are all examples of how we slowly move our campers from thinking as participants to thinking of having fun while helping others at the same time. This kind of shift in thinking is integral to understanding the difference between being a leader/mentor/role model at camp vs being a participant. This shift in thinking, connection with staff, and feedback from their LIT Supervisor takes time and therefore we do suggest more than one week of the program for both years of the program.
The LIT program provides a safe recreational environment where campers can continue to enjoy the company of their peers, while learning to help out at camp, and learning a little about leadership, leadership skills, and maybe even getting a chance to instruct a game or 2 along the way ! Our program provides a jumping off point for your camper to see if being a leader is something that they enjoy in a camp setting. It is not a class room course or intensive leadership camp. It is a basic leadership program with plenty of room for FUN!
Participant enjoy interactions with their peers, having a great time, and pride in their accomplishments.
- LITs will have a group meeting each week to be sure that they understand the expectations of the program.
- LITs will join in the General Camp program where they will have the chance to assist and observe our professional camp staff in action.
- LITs will help with crafts, games, and activities of all kinds.
- LITs will have a chance to have some fun with their peers each and every day!
- LITs may be able to get up to 10 hours of volunteer time per week that could be used towards community hours for high school. This must be approved by the LITs school in advance of attendance. Paperwork must be brought to camp on the last day of the week for the LIT coordinator to sign.
- Volunteer hours will only be given to LITs who have worked hard to earn them. These are not given to every person who attends.
- LITs will participate in a meeting at the start of each new week of camp. This is a time for them to meet with the Leadership Director who will make sure that they understand their role at Kids Inc Camp, and have an opportunity to ask questions and provide and receive feedback.
- LIT's who are unable to behave within our code of conduct and within the context of the fact that this is a leadership based program will be asked to leave the program without refund. Please ensure that you only register campers who based upon experience are able to behave as good role models to younger children and who have an understanding and respect for our code of conduct.
LITs will also get to participate in a variety of recreational programs including: swimming, rock climbing, main event, sports, crafts, theme days, campfires, talent shows, archery, forest games, and so much more!
All LITs will be required to pass a swim test prior to swimming in the pool without a life jacket. For additional
information regarding swim testing, please consult the Parents Handbook from our Forms and Documents page.
There is an appropriate number of Certified Lifeguard staff at the pool at all times during camp hours.
Participants will need to purchase enough t-shirts that they are always in a clean LIT shirt while at camp.
up to a maximum of 5- shirts for the summer.
Each t-shirt is $15.00 + HST
LIT shirts are adult sizes and you will need to select the appropriate size when registering.
Participants must wear the LIT T-shirt and clean shorts or pants to camp every day.
If warm clothes are required we ask that you bring a solid colour sweatshirt or jacket.
You can register your teen for as many weeks of the summer as they like! This program runs all summer long and many participants register for multiple weeks of the program. Availability is limited, please register early.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have a child who is 15 or older and may want to find out about employment with Kids Inc Camp please have them visit the employment section of our web site and make all inquiries themselves. Parents should not make employment inquiries on behalf of their children - thank you!